How to say E
A hard or long E.
Several soft or short E sounds.
elk, everything, exert, forest, rent, web
A flat, short sound.
naked, rely, renew
The E in each of these words has a different sound.
era, the, there, prey, met, England, sew, herb, clerk
—ew creates a sliding vowel sound, although it is a vowel—consonant combination.
blew, chew, crew, dew, flew, grew, jewel, knew, news, renew, skew, screw, threw, view
Letter combinations (digraphs)
—ea— generally has the same sound as —ee. There are all sorts of exceptions.
Easter, easy, great, meat, peace, zeal
—ea— earn, earth, heard, search
—ea— head, health, measure, peasant
—ea— bear, swear, wear
—ea— appeal, arboreal, clear, idea, real, urea
—ea— forearm, mileage
—ea— bureau, chateau
—ee— greet, meet, sleet, wheel
—ei— eider, Einstein, either
—ei— beige, eight, neigh, vein
—ei— conceive, receive
—eu— Europe, eureka
- Using text from a newspaper or book, identify and write down a list of words containing the letter E.
- Which of these words has a hard or long e (one pronounced like the letter E)?
- Which has a soft e (as in egg)?
Special reading assignment
- Eventually everyone exits.
- Elderberries make good wine or jelly.
- Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
— Monte Python