Significance and abbreviations
F is the sixth letter of the alphabet and is spelled ef or eff.
F is for Fahrenheit, or a failing grade at school.
32 degrees Fahrenheit is the same as 0 degrees Celsius.
f or F is for “female”.
Check the box:  F  M
FAQ stands for “frequently asked questions”.
Fax stands for “facsimile transmission”.
Send your letter by fax.
Fig. is short for figure.
Fig. 1. A graphic illustration of the text.
FX is usually short for special effects.
Shed FX is a company that sells sheds.
F is for fuddle duddle
Surprisingly, the F-word is now in the dictionary. It is most often used for its shock value.
Fuck is identified as coarse slang or a curse in the Canadian Oxford Dictionary.
Notice that this word rhymes with luck. Most luck in life depends upon self-discipline; in this case, if you can discipline yourself to never use the F-word, you will have lots of good luck in your life.
Fuddle-duddle is a euphemism used in Parliament by the Canadian Prime Minister, the late Pierre Elliot Trudeau.
- Think of some more creative euphemisms for the F-word.
- Can you find some additional abbreviations using the letter F?
- When you go for a walk, look around for ferns. You may be surprised where they grow.
Special reading assignments
- Figs fall into the genus Ficus. Look for Ficus trees growing in hotel lobbies.
- The Free French fought fiercely.